Dear Scouting Family of the Sam Houston Area Council,
The leadership of the Sam Houston Area Council would like to present this, our ninth update, on our response to the COVID-19 outbreak and protocols for Scouting operations going forward. We appreciate your continued patience as we navigate this situation as best we can.
- As an alternative to summer resident camp, members of Scouts BSA now have the opportunity to register for Merit Badge Days that will be held at Tellepsen Scout Camp on Saturdays in July and August. More information, including how to register, may be found here.
- Cub Scouts will have two opportunities for day camp programming this summer:
- Virtual Day Camp will be conducted during two sessions in July, free of charge. More information, including how to register, may be found here.
- Outdoor Sports Days will be conducted at Camp Brosig and Bovay Scout Ranch in late July and early August. Activities will include BB guns, archery, water activities, fishing and a closing ceremony. More information can be found here, and registration will be open soon.
- The Cockrell Scout Center remains open for drop off only with hours of 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. on Monday through Friday.
- Any interaction needed with staff members must be conducted through phone and email. If you need assistance determining the appropriate person to contact, please refer to our updated “who to call directory,” or contact the receptionist at (713) 659-8111 during our office hours to be directed to the appropriate person.
- Field-based staff (District Executives) will be working remotely during this time and are available by phone and email.
- The 5 Scout Shop locations are open to limited retail traffic. Please visit here for more store information, including updated store hours..
- All council camping facilities will be closed through June 30th.
- All district and council meetings, activities, and events through June 14th are cancelled or postponed unless conducted over teleconference or online.
- The Scout Fair Coupon Book Sale for 2020 is now closed. For information on closing out your unit, please contact your District Scout Fair Chair or District Executive. Commission checks will begin being processed for units that have closed out their sale when the Cockrell Scout Center reopens.
- The online popcorn sale is open. The online popcorn sale is a great opportunity to raise funds for your unit’s Scouting program virtually – all while keeping social distancing intact. For more information on how to participate, please contact Mary Welch (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Units should continue to consult with their chartered organizations to determine the best path forward for their Scouting programs.We strongly encourage units to comply with all current recommendations of the CDC, the White House, and local jurisdictions. There are a number of great resources available regarding Scouting program during this period of social distancing:
In addition to these local updates, the council has received information regarding an updated fee structure from National BSA. Our team is putting together an FAQ and additional information that will be sent out in tomorrow’s (June 3) e-Scouter newsletter.
Our Enterprise Risk Management Team is working regularly and diligently to determine our plans going forward. If you have any questions regarding the COVID-19 response for the Sam Houston Area Council, please contact Thomas Franklin, Deputy Scout Executive, at email@example.com. The council remains committed to keeping our constituents updated regularly with new information as we have it. We will continue to communicate through three main mechanisms – Facebook, Email, and Council Website. Please consult these regularly for updates.
Thank you for all you do for Scouting
Chair of the Board
Scout Executive / CEO
If you have any further questions or concerns, please contact Thomas Franklin, Deputy Scout Executive, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
As this is a constantly evolving situation, please regularly monitor our standard means of communication (Facebook, Email, and Council Website) for updates.
BSA National Statement on COVID-19 Previous Updates
Rank Advancement Update Scouting at Home Digital Safety Online Meeting Resources