The 23rd Annual Sporting Clays Event is a shotgun shooting game in which clay pigeons are presented to the gunner in ways that mirror the flight pattern of game birds, or occasionally rabbits, in their natural habitats. Sporting clays is exciting and challenging. The shooting grounds are laid out in stations (also called stands) with each station representing one type of bird or a combination of game: a rabbit and a grouse.
Team Sponsorship Levels
The tournament uses a four-person team format. Teams can be made up of male, female, youth, adult, pro class shooters, beginner shooters, or a combination.
||Supports a one-year program for an in-school Scouting unit (40 youth)
||Base Package* plus a full-page ad in the program booklet, website listing, sponsor banner, mulligans for each shooter, shooting game tickets for each shooter, vendor tent and additional four-person team (eight shooters total), Premier Shooter gifts, one raffle ticket book per shooter, and underwriting of a silent and live auction item with recognition.
||Supports a program for a ScoutReach^ unit for one-year (25 youth)
||Base Package* plus a full-page ad in the program booklet, website listing, sponsor banner, mulligans for each shooter, shooting game tickets for each shooter, vendor tent and additional four-person team (eight shooters total).
||Supports a program for a ScoutReach^ unit for ½-year (25 youth)
||Base Package* plus a ¾-page ad in the program booklet, website listing, sponsor banner, mulligans for each shooter, shooting game tickets for each shooter.
||Supports 20 youth with a one-year Scouting program
||Base Package* plus a ½ page ad in the program booklet, website listing, sponsor banner.
||Supports 12 youth with a one-year Scouting program
||Base Package* plus a ¼-page ad in the event program, website listing, station sponsor sign.
||Supports eight youth with a one-year Scouting program
||Base Package* which includes four-person team, golf cart, company name in the event program and shooter gift.
|First Class Shooter
||Supports two youth with a one-year Scouting program
||One individual shooter.
*All shooters will receive lunch, refreshments, reception, recognition item, and the opportunity to participate in shooting games and the live and silent auction. The base package includes a four-person team, golf cart, company name in the event program.
^Scoutreach is a school Scouting program for youth at their school. The Scouts receive all of the same opportunities as a traditional unit, including, summer camp and community service. Qualified volunteers, called the Scoutreach Corps, assist paid program specialists to provide Scouts high-quality Scouting experiences in elementary, middle schools, and community centers throughout the greater Houston area. Sam Houston Area Council is committed to making Scouting accessible to youth that may not be able to join a traditional unit.
Auction items can be donated. Team sponsors can also underwrite silent and auction items.
|Shooter Gift Sponsor
||Underwrites the shooter gifts that will be presented to each team, recognition in the event program, website listing, sponsor banner, and gift items
||Recognition in the event program, website listing, sponsor banner.
||Sponsor 1 gun to be given away for the gun raffle, recognition in the event program, website listing.
|Square Gun Sponsor
||Underwrites square gun game, with name recognition on board.
||Recognition in the event program, banner placed on course, and logo on all course scorecards and golf carts.
||Recognition in the event program, banner at a station, and website listing.
||For those who wish to contribute, but can't participate, please contact email@example.com for Contribution only gifts.
- All guns remain unloaded at all times, until in the shooting cage and pointed downrange. Load only when the station is clear and safe.
- Treat all guns as though they are loaded, never pointing at anything you do not wish to destroy.
- Actions open or the breech cracked to show the gun is unloaded until you are ready to use it.
- Never load more than two shells at a time for Sporting Clays Tournament or other shotgun games.
- Be aware of what’s beyond the target. If there’s any doubt, don’t shoot.
- After shooting all your targets make sure your action is open BEFORE you turn around to step out of the cage.
- Shot sizes larger than 7½, 8 or 9 are not allowed. No dram equivalent of more than three drams, or more than 1½ ounce of shot will be allowed.
- Use the proper gauge ammunition in your gun. Don’t improvise or carry shells of different gauges together.
- Absolutely no consumption of alcohol will be allowed on the course, including spectators.
- Eye and ear protection are mandatory for everyone on the course, including spectators.
- No unsupervised children on the range.
- No unleashed dogs on the range.
- Never load or touch the trap machines for any reason.
- Personal carts, gators, rhinos, mules, and other modes of transportation such as those listed are welcome. Four wheelers and motorcycles are not allowed on, or around the course.
- Stay on the pathways both in vehicles and walking.
- Any activity deemed unsafe will not be tolerated.
Tournament organizers will use the Lewis class scoring system for scoring the event.
Trophies will be awarded for 1st and 2nd place for the following classes: A, B and C.
Team and individual team member awards will be given for 1st and 2nd place in each of these classes.
Every shooter will be provided one flight and 100 clays. During the event, a delicious lunch and light dinner will be provided. A silent and live auction will be held after dinner.
||Check-in and shooting games open
||Silent auction opens
||Lunch service starts
||Shooting games close
||Safety talk and instructions
||Shooting event starts
||Reception starts (15 minutes after last shooter finishes)
||Silent auction closes
||Live auction and gun drawings
Live And Silent Auction
There are large live and silent auctions at the event. Around $75,000.00 worth of merchandise will be auctioned off. In the past, items in the auction included golf outings, hunting trips to local lodges, a week at a Colorado condo with airfare, a week in Napa Valley and the California Redwoods with airfare, a dove hunting trip to Argentina with airfare, and much more. It is truly an auction that you will not want to miss.
Raffle Packages: $100 and $250 raffle packages are available; raffle items typically include guns (of all types), artwork, golf certificates, restaurant gift certificates, and much more. Come prepared to participate in a top-flight raffle and you may go home with a new shotgun of your dreams!
Auction Donation Form
Where does the money go?
Funds raised from the annual Sam Houston Area Council BSA Sporting Clays Tournament go to support the Scouting program in the greater Houston Area. Scouting teaches self-reliance, strength of purpose and conviction of character. These are the values that have guided the Sam Houston Area Council over the years. While there are many youth organizations, including sports, service clubs, fitness and educational programs that help young people, Scouting goes above and beyond by providing activities that:
- Allows youth to try new things
- Features a learn-by doing approach
- Provides service to others
- Reinforces ethical standards
- Builds self-confidence and leadership
- Scouting is filled with fun, adventure and values that last a lifetime. Men who were Scouts for five or more years as boys are more likely than men with no Scouting to:
- Graduate from college (35% versus 19%)
- Earn higher annual household incomes ($80,000 versus $61,000)
- Have lifelong friendships (89% versus 74%)
- Attend religious services (87% versus 77%)
- Believe helping others should come before one’s own self-interest (92% versus 83%)
- Over the past 16 years, this event has raised close to $2 million dollars to support the Scouting program in the Greater Houston area.
- Graduate from high school (91% versus 87%)
Modern Shooter, which airs on the Sportsman Channel, featured the Sam Houston Area Council Sporting Clays Tournament.
Mike Kasecky – Volunteer
Ryan Murphy - Beacon Offshore Energy
Rick Benavides - SKB Shotguns
Adam Blake - Perdue and Kidd
Cory Burkhalter - O'Donnell/Snider Construction
Bill Burns - King and Spalding Law Firm
Stephen Carter - Amegy Bank
Harold Christmann - Christmann Co
Matt Daniel - Skanska
Mark DeVaney - Amegy Bank
Cletus Dodd - Greenbriar Partners
Jeff Early - Northern Trust Bank
Don Fernbach - Forney Construction
Ken Fickes - Harris County
Jessica Forsdick - Lady Clay Shooters, Inc. / Dawson Geophysical
Gail Harrison - Volunteer
Shad Higdon – Deloitte & Touche LLP
Remko Hinloopen - Diamond Offshore
Eric Johnston - Frost Bank
Nick Jones - Bank of Texas
Harry Leach - Capital Certified Development
Steve Leyh - Leyh Payne & Mallia, PLLC
Lee Lightfoot - Capital CDC
Sean Perry - Austin Industries
Bob Roy - CenterPoint Energy
Anntoinette Sims - Tidewater Inc.
Wendel Skolaski - Frost Bank
Karen Tellepsen - Volunteer
David Weaver - RigNet
Sporting Clays Tournament Sponsors