Summer Camp 2020
Summer camp is a week-long council-organized overnight camp for Scouts BSA that operates under council-retained leadership. The program provides opportunities for Scouts to earn merit badges along their advancement trail.
Summer camp will be held at Camp Strake, a first-class and state-of-the-art facility for Scouts and their leaders. Activities will include shooting sports (rifle, shotgun, archery, sporting arrows), Wild Hex (aerial adventure tower), zip lines, climbing, rappelling, COPE, swimming, biking, merit badge classes and more.
To follow the progress of construction, visit www.shac.org/strake.
Camp Strake has 20 campsites with pavilions and an air-conditioned dining hall, a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) center, 28-acre lake, aquatics center with a swimming pool and pool house, extensive trail system, basketball court, sports fields, chapel and more.
Each week of camp will be limited to approximately 300 participating Scouts. This number affords the ability to offer an exciting program while meeting participant and unit needs. Campsites will be assigned to best utilize the space available so as many Scouts as possible can be accommodated. The camp has been designed and built to meet both ADA and Boy Scouts of America requirements. The program will be offered to both girl and boy units concurrently.
Click on a date to register.
• Week 1: June 7-13, 2020 (full)
• Week 2: June 14-20, 2020 (full)
• Week 3: June 21-27, 2020 (full)
• Week 4: June 28- July 4, 2020 (full)
• Week 5: July 5-11, 2020 (full)
• Week 6: July 12-18, 2020
• Week 7: July 19-25, 2020
Fees and Payment Schedule
The registration fee will be $350 per Scout and $150 per adult. The fee includes meals, a patch, and all program supplies.
• $30 per Scout due by September 2, 2019.
• Half of final payment due January 15, 2020.
• Final payment due May 1, 2020.
The full program will be published in the online leader’s guide that will be available in November.
Camp staff is an experience that is truly unforgettable. It is a chance to spend your whole summer working at a beautiful camp while teaching kids and having fun. Every day is fully rewarding to you as a staff member and to the campers in whose lives you have made a difference. Camp work is often demanding as we keep a packed schedule running the campers we serve; but the opportunities, rewards and experiences available to you on camp staff are endless. Serving on camp staff is the best way to spend a summer. Staff week is May 31 - June 6, 2020.
Apply for Camp Staff
Camp Strake Location
Camp Strake is located on 2,816 acres between New Waverly and Coldspring near the community of Evergreen, Tx. Lake Livingston is 10 miles east of the property. The camp is a 1.5-hour drive from downtown Houston and close to I-45 and the Grand Parkway. Camp Strake is surrounded on three sides by the Sam Houston National Forest and has the Lone Star Hiking Trail close to one corner of the property.
- 20 campsites with pavilions
- Air conditioned dining hall with 450 person capacity
- Camp Headquarters building
- Large program pavilion
- STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) center
- Merit badge pavilions
- Shooting Sports Complex with rifle, shotgun, and archery range, including a sporting arrows course
- Climbing pavilion with restrooms
- Wild Hex Complex
- Zip line
- Climbing and rappelling tower
- Bikes and all-terrain vehicle ATV area
- Aquatics Center with a swimming pool and pool house
- Aquatics Center with lake (28-acre lake being created), observation deck and canoe storage
- Aquatics training pavilion
- Sport fields
- Extensive trail system
- Order of the Arrow ceremony site
- Arena for 1,200 people
- 1 chapel for 250 people
- 1 chapel for 100 people
- Modern restrooms and shower houses
- 40 summer camp staff huts
Camp Strake Progress
We are excited to show the progress of Camp Strake as of August 2019. For more pictures and information, visit www.shac.org/strake.
Wild Hex Complex
Camp Headquarters Building
Merit Badge Pavilion