A steady flow of youth into a troop is essential to maintaining the troop's health. New Scouts bring energy and enthusiasm to the troop program.
To avoid the pitfall of shrinking membership, a troop should add at least 10 new Scouts every year. Having a year-round growth plan in place will help attract new Scouts.
The first step for any recruitment effort is to appoint a troop committee member to serve as the troop membership chair. This person will develop and implement a year-round growth plan that incorporates all methods of recruitment, working closely with Cub Scout packs in the community, the district membership committee, and the unit commissioner.
There are three methods of recruiting new Scouts into troops:
Put your unit on the map
Calling all unit leaders: your unit is on the map at www.BeAScout.org with a Google pin! Update your unit information and make it easy for new Scouting families to find your troop.
Is your unit information correct? Unit leaders can update the unit information to make it easy for new Scouting families to find your unit by logging into myscouting.org. Find a complete set of step-by-step instructions on how to update your BeAScout pin in this guide, and/or watch this “Setting Up Your BeAScout Unit Pin” instructional video.
If you are the current unit leader and are unable to update your unit pin, please contact your district executive and ensure that you are currently registered as the Scoutmaster or committee chair.
- BSA membership recruitment
- BSA Brand Center
- BSA Membership and Recruiting Hub
- National recruitment campaign: Badge of Honor campaign with fliers, billboards, posters, yard signs, door hangers, bookmarks, postcards, web banners, PSAs, eblast, social media images
- New national recruitment resources: Build an Adventure campaign, with fliers, billboards, posters, yard signs, door hangers, bookmarks, postcards, web banners, PSAs, eblast, social media images
- Year-Round Guide to Recruiting
For questions, please contact your District Executive or District Membership Chair.